Salt has gotten a bad rap—and if you’re talking about the all-too-common processed table salt that’s been leached of trace minerals and nutrients, then the notorious reputation is warranted. But salt in its pure form, like Himalayan salt and Celtic sea salt, is one of the most nutritious foods you could feed your body. Salt supports your biology and increases your resilience.
The Importance of Sodium
Your body can’t function on low sodium. Sodium is, after all, critical to the proper function of all cells. Even the nerve cells of your brain depend on adequate sodium—if salt levels are too low, even your emotions feel it!
Experts say that the recommended daily value for salt is much too low and can actually increase your risk for a cardiovascular event. A recent study showed that contrary to popular belief, your risk of heart attack is raised when your salt levels are too low.
Secure Your Sodium Levels with Himalayan Salt
Sea salt is becoming more and more contaminated as more toxins are being dumped in the ocean. For this reason, Himalayan salt is a more pure alternative. A nine-week study published in 2003 and conducted by researchers at Inter-University of Graz, Austria found that Himalayan salt brought about positive improvement in respiratory, circulatory, organ, connective tissue, and nervous system functions, as well as better sleep, increased energy and concentration, enhanced brain activity and awareness, significant weight loss, and appreciable hair and nail growth.
An easy 5-minute health tip for shoring up your salt levels is to drink a teaspoon of salt dissolved in a glass of water every morning. When you rise, your adrenal glands pump out cortisol to balance your blood pressure and get you ready for the day. Salt dissolved in water helps balance your sodium:potassium ratio, and thereby your blood pressure, so that your adrenal glands can better handle the stress and you don’t succumb to burnout later in the day.
A morning salt-water treat also helps to:
- Detox the body by removing bad bacteria
- Alleviate muscle cramps by improving hydration and boosting mineral levels
- Restore the body’s pH and act as an anti-histamine
- Promote healthy veins, skin, hair, and nails
- Balance hormones and blood pressure, thereby improving energy levels and sleep quality
- Improve digestion by encouraging food absorption and regularity
- Support thyroid and adrenal function
Himalayan Salt Sole
For an advanced salt-water boost, take five minutes of prep time to prepare a Himalayan salt sole.
- Fill a glass jar ¼ of the way with Himalayan sea salt
- Add filtered water, leaving an inch of room at the top
- Cover with a plastic lid and gently shake
- Leave overnight so that the salt can completely dissolve
- If there is some salt at the bottom of the jar the next morning, then the salt sole is ready (if no salt remains, then add salt and let the mixture dissolve until some salt remains)
- Add one teaspoon of salt sole to a glass of water and drink on an empty stomach every morning
A few tips: Don’t add more than a teaspoon of Himalayan salt sole to water, as it has a detoxifying effect that can cause a headache. The lid must not be metal—salt mixed with water has a corrosive effect on metal, and chemicals and toxins can leak out of the metal and into your Himalayan salt sole.