The enzyme bromelain, found in pineapple, is one of several natural foods you can use to prevent cancer, fight cancer if you have it, and minimize the effects of radiation therapy that often cause as much damage to healthy cells as they do to cancerous cells.
Chemotherapy is the most common form of treatment for cancer in the United States. It has been used for the past four decades despite the fact that it ravages the body, weakening the immune system until it can no longer function properly.
The cure is often worse than the disease, pushing scientists to search for natural cancer-fighting solutions.
Bromelain Destroys the Cancer – Not Your Body
One such solution is compounds that act with “selective cytotoxicity” – shrinking or killing cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone. This ability is only found in nature and, so far, science has been unable to duplicate it.
Bromelain is the pineapple enzyme that digests proteins and it exhibits this ability. It is found in the stem and the fruit of the pineapple. You can also get small quantities in juice, but for true cancer-fighting power, you need to consider a pineapple enzyme extract.
Until recently, getting enzymes into your bloodstream (where they can do the most good) has been almost impossible. Enzymes are broken down in the stomach before ever reaching the rest of your body.
Now scientists are using enteric coatings that resist stomach acid and break down only in specific locations of your intestines so the full benefit is achieved.
Getting enough natural enzymes into your system is crucial to total body health. Raw, organic fruits and vegetables take some of the enzyme production stress off your body – and aid in better digestion – so the unused enzymes can find and kill cancerous cells.
A fruit and vegetable smoothie, abundant in natural enzymes, should be consumed early in the day on an empty stomach. This way, resources that would normally go into breaking down your food are instead able to bolster your immune system, strengthen your cells, and fight illness.
Beyond cancer, bromelain’s extremely high anti-inflammatory properties make it a natural treatment for arthritis and bowel disorders.
Inflammation is believed to be a root cause of hundreds of diseases.
Diet is Key to Fighting Cancer
Preventing disease is always preferable to fighting it. National Cancer Institute’s Rachael Stolzenberg-Solomon, PhD, MPH, RD, puts it this way, “The easiest, least-expensive way to reduce your risk for cancer is just by eating a healthy diet.”
A variety of fruits and vegetables should make up the largest portions on your plate. It leaves less room for foods that may be high in saturated fats or preservatives. Karen Collins, RD, nutritional advisor for the American Institute for Cancer Research explains, “You’re looking at creating something for a lifetime. If each month or so you enjoy [one more vegetable], then that’s great.”
6 Natural Cancer- Fighters You Need in Your Diet
- Folate – foods rich in this B-complex vitamin protect against cell mutations and can be found in orange juice, leafy greens, beans, asparagus, sunflower seeds and Marmite™ – a yeast extract spread.
- Vitamin D – several studies are ongoing due to initial evidence that this vitamin inhibits cancer cell growth by as much as a 50% reduction in breast cancer risk. You can find it in milk as well as other sources such as cod, shrimp, salmon and eggs.
- Kaempferol – a flavonoid found in teas, this compound has shown remarkable effects against ovarian and breast cancer. Four cups each day is suggested. Drink it year-round, iced or hot, for added benefit.
- Cruciferous Vegetables – members of the cabbage family such as kale, broccoli, spinach and greens have been shown to protect against prostate and colon cancers. More incredibly, mice with cancerous tumors showed a reduction in tumor size just one month after being treated with a substance derived from cruciferous veggies. Raw is best, but if you must cook them, a light steam will ensure you trap the powerful antioxidants inside. Chew well and never microwave!
- Curcumin – this is the primary compound in curry powder. Loaded with extreme anti-inflammatory properties, this spice fights cancer while adding delicious flavor to your favorite meals. University of Texas biochemist, Bharat B. Aggarwal, PhD, had this to say: “Among all the cancers we and others have examined, no cancer yet has been found which is not affected by curcumin. This is expected, as inflammation is the mediator for most cancer.”
- Ginger – scientists have discovered that ginger works in two ways against cancer. It kills cells while leaving healthy cells undamaged (apoptosis) and tricks cancer cells into digesting themselves (autophagy). Researchers are still trying to figure out exactly how it works but advise adding non-toxic ginger to your diet.
Inflammation and cell mutation is believed to be the core cause of cancer. Adding bromelain pineapple enzyme and these natural cancer-fighters to your diet will work to prevent cancer from forming in the first place.
If you have cancer, these foods will help control inflammation caused by chemotherapy, help you recover more quickly from surgical procedures, and protect the healthy cells in your body from further damage.