Did You Know… that a centuries-old folk-remedy of fermented liquid might be one of the most effective allergy treatments available today?
The fermented liquid in question is none other than … apple cider vinegar. It offers an array of powerful health benefits, many of which you may already have heard about. If you aren’t yet using apple cider vinegar (ACV), but you suffer from seasonal allergies, read on, because you’re going to want to consider adding this liquid health tonic to your daily regimen.
Like many natural cures, apple cider vinegar benefits have not been widely researched or examined in randomized clinical trials. After all, which big drug company is going to fund a study on vinegar?
The lack of medical studies on its efficacy, however, doesn’t mean this ancient remedy isn’t effective. Since the time of Hippocrates — the “Father of Medicine” — ACV has been renowned for its curative properties. There’s a reason this powerful health booster has stood the test of time.
Earth Clinic, a trusted and extensive database of folk remedies, has been collecting data on ACV for the past 8 years.
Here are just a few of the health conditions treatable with ACV:
- Sinus infections
- High cholesterol
- Chronic fatigue
- Acid reflux
- Sore throat
- Contact dermatitis
Apple cider vinegar benefits range from a multitude of items. One in particular is that ACV users claim the vinegar dramatically reduces allergy symptoms from pets, food, and other environmental sources.
No matter what condition you’re treating with ACV, it comes with some extremely pleasant side effects. It’s a great metabolism booster — it can help you break down fat and lose pounds easily and permanently. It also gives your skin a healthy flush.
But in our modern era, its antibiotic and antihistamine powers may be more needed than ever because the ongoing deterioration of the planet (among other factors) is leading to an increase in the number of individuals who suffer from allergy attacks.Traditional allergy medications often have frustrating side effects, drowsiness being perhaps the most common and inconvenient offender.
According to a report presented by Dr. William E. Berger at a meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, more than 30% of all allergy patients believe their allergy medications are ineffective.
Furthermore, pharmaceuticals can be expensive … can actually increase nasal irritation … and can have dangerous side effects such as impairing one’s driving abilities and causing a mental disconnect.
Fortunately, apple cider vinegar benefits are just as effective in treating allergic reactions as over-the-counter antihistamine medications like Zyrtec, according to Melissa Gallagher, M.S., CWC, CNHP.
Gallagher, a popular and respected naturopath, holistic nutritionist, and wellness coach, says apple cider vinegar “can help cure various ailments without having to use OTC drugs or even prescriptions … [it] can address many of the reasons you would commonly make a run to your local CVS or Walgreens to buy a drug that may only mask the symptoms … the benefit of apple cider vinegar is that you can treat the cause of your ailment thereby decreasing or completely eliminating your symptoms entirely.”
An allergic reaction occurs when your body overreacts to an unfamiliar yet harmless substance (known as allergens). Allergy sufferers have abnormally sensitive immune systems, which overreact to allergens such as pollen, dust, fur, feathers and mold.
An allergic person’s body mistakenly releases histamine to fight off the intruding particles. The abundance of histamine circulating through the body subsequently signals the mucus membranes to produce all the unwanted symptoms indicative of allergies.
Chemical and natural antihistamines, such as ACV, head off your body’s abnormal response by preventing the production and release of histamines.
This consequently prevents the allergic symptoms such as:
- Frequent sneezing
- Nasal congestion and runniness
- Itchy, red, swollen and/or watery eyes
- Itchy sensation of the nose, ears, lips, mouth, and/or throat
Considering its multitude of health benefits, it’s not surprising so many people acquire a taste for ACV. Others opt for the “quick-fix” option of taking pills — but most sources say they are not as effective as consuming ACV in the form of the liquid vinegar.
This may be because research indicates that the active ingredient in ACV is contained in what’s called “The Mother” — the cloudy, nutrient-filled substance settling at the bottom of the bottle. When buying ACV, make sure to get the unpasteurized, unfiltered, unrefined variety, and check for brownish colored, tiny, cobweb “mother” floating in it as visual confirmation of the strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules
According to ACV enthusiasts, this dark and mysterious substance is the source of curative powers and tonic-containing elements, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, acetic acid, malic acid, citric acid and lactic acid.
Adding ACV to your diet can be as simple as taking a straight shot of ACV (one teaspoon is a recommended starter dose). Since the ACV has a strong taste, make sure to chase the shot with water!
Most people agree, however, that taking small doses of ACV mixed with water is the better way — for instance, 1 teaspoon mixed with ½ liter of water taken 3 times/day.
Another option is to combine 1/8 cup of ACV with 8 oz. of water and sip this tincture throughout the day.
Some sources recommend larger doses of up to 2 tablespoons mixed in water and taken before each meal.
If the taste disagrees with you, try increasing the ratio of water to vinegar, adding honey to your concoction, or mixing it into apple juice or herbal tea instead of water.
If your stomach feels upset after taking a dose, a ¼ teaspoon of baking soda can help settle it.
If you’re unable to ingest the mixture, another allergy-relieving option might be to inhale the vapors. This can open your nasal passages, decrease mucus production, and calm allergic reactions.
Warning: Drinking and/or inhaling the fumes of this powerful, acidic substance too much or too often can actually damage the mucus membrane, so caution should be exercised not to overuse it.