Dermatologists, aestheticians and beauty professionals regard skin serums as the most prized over-the-counter anti-aging solutions. Skin serums are essentially super concentrated, turbo-charged, fast-absorbing skin products that deliver powerful nutrients and anti-aging ingredients directly into the skin. Because serums are usually rich in premium ingredients, and they effectively target specific skincare concerns (such as wrinkles), they tend to be quite expensive. The department store brands range in price from $35 to $180 per ounce – and the premium signature brands can cost $360 to an exorbitant $1,300 per ounce!
Vitamin C is often the gold-star ingredient contained in the most expensive skin serums on the market. That’s because Vitamin C, when applied to the skin, it delivers stunning—and often immediate—benefits:
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant which neutralizes free radicals and other age-accelerating substances that come from environmental elements and sun exposure.
- Vitamin C accelerates the production of collagen, the main structural protein found in skin and other connective tissues. As such, it supports the skin’s repair process, firms sagging skin, and also prevents fine lines and wrinkles from forming.
- Vitamin C lightens the appearance of age spots.
There is good evidence that supports the fact that long-term use of vitamin C topically is associated with improved skin texture and quality—even more so than taking vitamin C orally
Camu Camu Berries: The Quintessential Source of Vitamin C
Camu camu berries are the fruits of a shrub found in the Amazon rainforest. These berries contain the highest level of naturally occurring vitamin C on the planet—with 30 to 60 times more vitamin C than a fresh orange. When the berries are dried and pulverized, they deliver 600 times more vitamin C than oranges!
These purplish red berries (which resemble cherries) are also a rich source of powerful phytochemicals and amino acids (such as serine, leucine, and valine), that support the health and youthfulness of the body’s largest organ … the skin.
When it comes to keeping the skin ageless, a skin serum containing vitamin C derived from camu camu berries may perhaps be one of the most effective. And the good news is that you don’t need to purchase expensive serums that are rich in vitamin C because you can make your own using powdered camu camu berries.
The serum recipe that appears below rejuvenates and firms the skin with natural ingredients—and it takes less than a minute to make with only 3 ingredients.
4 teaspoons aloe vera gel
2 teaspoons glycerin
2 teaspoons camu camu powder (preferably an organic brand such as Feel Good Organic Camu Camu Powder)
1. Combine camu camu powder and glycerin, mix well.
2. Add aloe vera and stir all ingredients together until the mixture achieves a serum consistency.
3. Transfer your homemade serum onto a small container (ideally one with a convenient dropper for dispensing)
To use, apply 2 to 4 drops of the serum onto cleansed skin (face, neck and chest) twice a day. Allow the serum to be absorbed by the skin before applying moisturizer.