Few recipes combine simplicity and satisfaction as seamlessly as a good smoothie does. Pairing the right ingredients can yield vibrant, health-promoting concoctions that take just minutes to whip up. We love trying new, innovative combinations, and we always make sure to include at least a serving of vegetables in our creations.
The Secret Ingredient Is…
The secret behind this smoothie’s gorgeous purple hue is cabbage! That may not sound sexy, but red cabbage is loaded with health-enhancing compounds, such as…
- Glucosinolates, which fight inflammation and can help prevent cancer
- Polyphenols, which can slow—and possibly reverse—the progression of diabetes, neurodegeneration, and heart disease
- Glutamine, which helps protect the lining of the digestive tract
- Anthocyanins, which have potent antioxidant anti-inflammatory properties and give the cabbage its magnificent color
We also included a healthy dose of chia seeds and almonds to boost the smoothie’s protein content. To make our perfect pick-me-up smoothie, you will need…
- 1 cup red cabbage
- ½ cup blueberries
- 6 almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup water
- 1 banana (frozen)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
How to Make Our Perfect Pick-Me-Up Smoothie
- To get the beautiful, layered effect you see here, you’ll need to make two batches of smoothie—one with cabbage, blueberries, almonds, cinnamon, almond extract, and water, and one with banana, orange juice, and chia seeds.
- Begin by making the cabbage-blueberry layer. Chop the cabbage, then add the cabbage, blueberries, almonds, cinnamon, and water to your blender, and blend until smooth. This should take about a minute.
- Pour the mixture into a glass until it’s half-full, portioning off any extra if necessary.
- Rinse out the blender.
- Juice the oranges, then add the banana, orange juice, and chia seeds, and blend until smooth.
- Gently pour the banana-orange layer onto the cabbage-blueberry layer, again, portioning off any excess if necessary.
- If you like, you insert a knife into the container, then draw it upwards along the side to create a pretty, streaked effect. For best flavor, fully mix before drinking.
This smoothie tastes best when enjoyed right away, but will retain its full nutritional benefits for 24 hours when refrigerated in an airtight container.