Did you know…that in a first-ever long-term study of the health effects of genetically modified corn, half of the rats died prematurely?
Last month, the tremendously disturbing results of the world’s first study on the long-term effects of GM (genetically modified) foods made headlines across Europe.
In contrast, here in the U.S., news of this shocking study has been mostly buried or criticized even though about 80% of foods in U.S. grocery stores contain GM ingredients, compared to only 5% in Europe.
For the study, scientists from the University of Caen in France proved that consumption of genetically modified maize NK603 or genetically modified corn which had been exposed to even the smallest amounts of Monsanto’s Roundup weed killer caused extreme tumor growth and severe liver and kidney damage.
Warning! Lifelong Diet of GM Corn Caused Tumors, Organ Damage, and Premature Death
Until now, the only tests conducted to determine the safety of GM foods have been short 90-day trials with rats. Unfortunately, a full life span for a rat is about 700 days (2 years).
That’s why seeking a more complete understanding of the effects of genetically modified corn crops have long called for a lifetime study—and the University of Caen’s peer-reviewed study is the first to answer this call.
The University of Caen researchers analyzed the effects of genetically modified corn and water containing permissible amounts of Roundup on rats over a 2-year (lifetime) period.
Their startling findings were published in The Food & Chemical Toxicology Journal in September and presented at a news conference in London:
- Up to 50% of males and 70% of females died significantly earlier than rats fed a standard diet.
- Compared to the control group, rats given water with trace amounts of Roundup were 2-3 times more likely to develop tumors.
- After 4 months for males, and 7 months for females, researchers saw signs of debilitating damage to the liver, kidneys, and other organs.
- By the last month of the study, 50-80% of female rats given GM corn or tainted water had developed massive tumors—up to 3 per rat.
How Greedy GMO Growers Got a Free Pass
You may be wondering how the USDA and FDA could possibly have approved the genetically modified corn crops for widespread use.
Surely long-term studies (like the one above) should have been required before GMO crops were legalized?
The explanation is simple: corporations are interested in profits, not public health. To ensure their own prosperity, they employ powerful corporate lobbyists whose job it is to convince government agencies to turn a blind eye.
The negative health impacts uncovered by the University of Caen study should not be ignored. As Dr. Michael Antoniou, a member of the independent scientific council CRIIGEN which supported the study, explained: “The rat has long been used as a surrogate for human toxicity…this is as good an indicator as we can expect that the consumption of genetically modified corn and the pesticide Roundup, impacts seriously on human health.”
Despite this glaring indictment, it’s unlikely the government will force corporations to clean up anytime soon.
The best thing you can do to protect your health, and send a message to Monsanto and other corporate offenders, is to…
- Avoid GM products as much as possible by choosing organic and avoiding processed foods when possible . Tragically, at this time, food manufacturers are not required to label products that contain GM foods. You can, however, find a number of useful shopping guides online. These guides list both companies that frequently use genetically modified foods as well as companies that prioritize responsible practices.
- Get involved in fighting back against GM foods by contacting one of the many organizations leading the way, such as the Organic Consumers Association’s Millions Against Monsanto.
- Contact your lawmakers, and, if you live in California, express your views at the voting booth on November 6 by voting YES to the California Proposition 37, which calls for mandatory labeling of GM food. This law, if enacted, would protect consumers’ rights to know whether or not a food product contains GM ingredients.
Underground Health Reporter Recommendations
- The 8-Ingredient Secret Recipe to Rebuilding Your Brand New Body
- How to erase wrinkles and lines without injections or surgery and make your skin look 5, 10, or even 20 years younger with these top 3 anti-aging ingredients...
- The Remarkable Healing Phenomenon that SHOCKS Doctors and Scientists Eliminates Pain, Inflammation and Disease in Minutes!
- The Missing Secret Behind the Law of Attraction That Will Enable You to Finally Manifest Your Desires...
- Why This 3-Minute "Wellness in a Glass" Movement Has Circled The Globe
Category: Nutrition & Wellness