Perilla is extracted from the leaves of the herb Perilla frutescens, of the mint family. It’s been used for centuries as a traditional Chinese remedy for coughs, asthma, and allergies.
It’s rich in calcium, iron, vitamin C, omega-3, and an allergy-fighting compound called rosmarinic acid. Rosmarinic acid helps treat seasonal allergy symptoms—like runny noses, sneezing and wheezing, and itchy, watery, red eyes—by inhibiting allergic immunoglobulin responses and inflammation.
Other benefits of the perilla plant include:
- A high antioxidant content to help combat oxidative stress and strengthen the immune system
- A natural circulation booster and cholesterol regulator
- An obesity fighter that helps calm the inflammation that triggers swelling around the belly
- A cancer fighter—particularly against breast and colon cancer
- A digestive aid that helps reduce gastrointestinal upset
Whether it’s as an overall health tonic, or to combat seasonal allergies, take 5 minutes from your day to power up with some perilla tea, either infused directly from perilla leaves or packaged. If you have the time, stretch it to 10!